Sunday, August 25, 2013

Rationale

My research revealed that Humpty Dumpty was a drink in which brandy was boiled with ale from the seventeenth century. It revealed that a Humpty Dumpty was a short and clumsy person, and that it may refer to king Richard the 3rd of England. I also learned what reduplicative meant (not in realtion to the animation but it was interesting to find out none-the-less).
My opinion on the popular interpretations of Humpty Dumpty have remained largely unchanged. By that I mean I don't really have an opinion. It was interesting to learn however that this rhyme used to be a riddle, but overtime the answer became so well known that this aspect of it has become lost.
I have interpreted this rhyme into the modern context by taking a message from our binge drinking culture and trying to portray the dangers of too much alcohol in a friendly humorous way. I have also used a 'modern' playground item - the one person duck seesaw.
I chose to show the story this way because A) I like to entertain people with whatever I make and B) people are generally more open to a humorous message (in my experience).
I chose to use the font 'THOR' for the great falls alcohol bottle, I used a bold 'Arial' font for the landmine sign, and I used 'Boom Tank' for the boom onomatopoeia. I looked at various beer bottle labels and based on what I saw from then I chose to use THOR because it fits with that style of banner. Arial is a clean font that is easy to read quickly. It is also used on many large outdoor signs for this very reason. "Boom Tank' had the shattery styling of an explosion so I capitalised it and bolded it, then animated it and I think the effect worked well.
I decided to give the animation a very light feel and use no music in it, just straight sound effects. I wanted to let the audience concentrate on what was happening on screen rather than listening to a possibly distracting extra layer of audio.

No comments:

Post a Comment